Egypt, West Bakr Wind
Lekela’s West Bakr Wind project in the Gulf of Suez takes advantage of a world class wind resource to produce 252MW of clean, reliable power at a highly competitive price. The first turbine was installed in late 2020, with construction carried out on time. The project achieved commercial operations in 2021.
Located 30 kilometres north-west of Ras Ghareb, the project is part of the Egyptian Government’s Build, Own, Operate (BOO) framework. Taking advantage of the excellent wind resource in the Gulf of Suez, the project will increase Egypt's wind energy capacity by 18% and will be a key pillar of Egypt’s ambition to generate 20% of its electricity from renewable energy sources by 2022.
Lekela signed a Power Purchase Agreement with the Egyptian Electricity Transmission Company and the New and Renewable Energy Authority in February 2019, and reached financial close in August 2019.
The project will provide opportunities for employment locally and increase socio-economic activity in the surrounding area, while helping diversity the energy mix and provide more competitively priced power in the country. During peak construction, the project employed up to 550 people.
Migrating birds will be protected through the development of a "shut down on demand" programme. Lekela has also signed a protocol with the Egyptian Environmental Affairs Agency and its Migratory Soaring Birds project to contribute towards the funding and implementation of the Migratory Birds Monitoring training programme.
The project is expected to produce over 1000GWh per year whilst saving more than 550,000 tonnes of carbon dioxide emissions annually.
For more information about the West Bakr wind farm, visit www.lekelaegypt.com
- Lekela North_EBRD ESAP [English] (October 2018)
- Lekela North_ESIA ( دراست محددة لتقييم التأثيراث البيئيت بيئيت )
- Lekela North_ESMS ( نظام الإدارة البيئية والاجتماعية )
- Lekela North_ESMS 4.4 ( إدارة مخاطر التنوّع البيئي )
- Lekela North_NTS ( الملخص غير الفنى )
- Lekela North_OTL ESIA ( دراست تقييم التأثيراث البيئيتم حددة لخطىط نقل )
- Lekela North_SEP ( خطة إشراك أصحاب المصلحة )
- Lekela North_CEA ( ات تحليل الآثار التراكمية )
- Lekela North_CFP ( اجراءات التجاوب المجتمعي )
- Lekela North_EBRD ESAP [Arabic] (October 2018)
- Lekela North_ESRS (October 2018)
- Lekela North_IFC ESAP (October 2018)
- Lekela North_NTS (October 2018)
- Lekela North_OTL ESIA (August 2018)
- Lekela North_Stakeholder Engagement Plan (July 2018)
- Lekela North_Community Feedback Procedure (July 2018)
- Lekela North_Cumulative Effects Assessment (October 2018)
- Lekela North_ESIA (May 2018)
- Lekela North_ESMS Policy Manual (October 2018)
- BOO - Critical Habitat Assessment (CHA)_English