Environmental, Social and Governance
Lekela is committed to upholding the very highest environmental, social and governance (ESG) standards and ensuring we leave a lasting, positive legacy in the communities where we invest.
To achieve this, we have set a clear ESG strategy for the group and have developed an ESG framework including relevant policies and procedures to guide all our investments.
- We continuously engage openly and transparently with the communities where we invest, addressing issues that impact on our 'social licence' to operate.
- We are committed to community investment to create shared value in our projects.
- We hold our contractors and subcontractors to the highest Environmental, Social and Governance standards.
- We uphold the highest business integrity standards within our group and require the same from our contractors and business partners.
- Lekela is a signatory to the UN Compact.
Annual Sustainability Report
In recognition of our impact as a business, we publish an annual sustainability report each year which discloses information on the most material environmental and social impacts on the communities where we operate and the broader world.
We publish this report as a Communication on Progress to the UN Global Compact and because we believe it is vital to understanding our impact. Through this understanding, we are better placed to maximise the positive outcomes we can deliver to the societies and environments where we operate.
The 2018 report can be downloaded below. Some key developments this year include:
- Lekela generated over 1,264 GWh of 100% renewable energy in 2018, with over 1,130,000 tonnes of carbon dioxide avoided
- Our projects under construction in Senegal and South Africa currently employ over 500 people and will total over 408 MW when completed
- Approximately 43,000 people now live within the catchment areas of our community investment funds, with over $2.5 million invested in social enterprise and community development schemes in 2018
- We have worked with integrity throughout our operations and have integrated our Environmental and Social Governance strategy in all that we do
- We have continued work to uphold the UN Global Compact, which serves to improve human rights, labour practices, environmental protection and anti-corruption practices through good corporate governance.
The full report can be downloaded here2018 Lekela Sustainability Report