We conduct all our business in an honest and ethical manner and take a zero-tolerance approach to bribery and corruption.
Environmental, Social and Governance
Lekela is committed to upholding the very highest environmental, social and governance (ESG) standards and ensuring we leave a lasting, positive legacy in the communities where we invest.
To achieve this, we have set a clear ESG strategy for the group and have developed an ESG framework including relevant policies and procedures to guide all our investments.
- We continuously engage openly and transparently with the communities where we invest, addressing issues that impact on our 'social licence' to operate.
- We are committed to community investment to create shared value in our projects.
- We hold our contractors and subcontractors to the highest Environmental, Social and Governance standards.
- We uphold the highest business integrity standards within our group and require the same from our contractors and business partners.
- Lekela is a signatory to the UN Compact.
Annual Sustainability Report
In recognition of our impact as a business, we publish an annual sustainability report each year which discloses information on the most material environmental and social impacts on the communities where we operate and the broader world.
Our latest report highlights the work Lekela has done throughout 2021 to support this, including:
- Increasing generation capacity by 33%, generating 2,803 GWh of zero-carbon energy and avoiding 2.4 million tonnes of CO2
- Carrying out 127 community investment initiatives across 6 communities
- Putting a spotlight on diversity and inclusion and working to empower women through our community initiatives in Senegal, Egypt and South Africa
- Preserving biodiversity through innovative projects and partnerships at our wind farms
We take seriously our investment in the countries and communities where we operate.
As long-term owner operators in each country, we strive to always ensure that:
We are committed to acting professionally, fairly and with integrity in all our business dealings and relationships wherever we operate.
We are committed to ensuring all our projects are delivered to the highest standards and in a manner that creates long-term shared value within our communities. We do so by engaging openly and transparently with the communities where we invest.
We respect the environment and the health and safety of all our stakeholders. This includes our employees, contractors and the communities in which our businesses operate. We also respect the dignity of all our employees.
We uphold the highest business integrity standards within our group and require the same from our contractors and business partners.
We are a signatory to the UN Compact.